- Monday is a difficult day to predict what stocks will do, but my number one pick is AMD.
- Stock averages clawed back late in the day, as the DJIA recoups a triple-digit slide to end just in the red. For the week, the DJIA ends up 1.8%, while the S&P 500 was also up 1.8% this week, down 0.4% Friday. The Nasdaq Composite advanced 1.5% for the week, shaving 0.2% from that advance today.
- Healthcare and consumer staple stocks fronted the recovery. Stocks tumbled broadly out of the chute in reaction to the early morning jobs report, a miss for Wall Street.
- The nation's unemployment rate held steady at 9.5%. Economists thought it might tick up to 9.6%.
- BP shares were higher in the regular session after the company said cement poured into the damaged Gulf of Mexico well appeared to be staunching the flow. "All of the indications, so far, look very encouraging," said Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer for exploration and production, Reuters reported.
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD:$7.4500,$-0.0500,-0.67%) announced that Apple has selected the world renowned ATI Radeon(TM) graphics solutions for the new line of Apple(R) iMac(R) and Mac Pro(R) tower.
- Long, because of the deals with Apple and that its at a sup level, which I see it bouncing off of and hitting res 7.7.
- Basically, disappointing revenue and guidance brought this companies shares down.
MONDAY, Aug. 9
Extended-Hours Earnings: ACAD, ABK, AMED, ASEI, ANIK, ANSW, ARRY, ATHX, AVII, BCON, BIDZ, BBBB, BLT, CPST, CAAS, CFSG, CHDX, CCO, CVG, CTRP, DISH, DTSI, EBIX, ERES, FTEK, FXEN, WILC, GNK, GA, GLAD, GTXI, HIMX, NRGY, IPAR, ISIS, KG, LXRX, MBI, MDR, MDVN, MNTG, NUAN, OTIV, OSTE, PRXL, PETD, PRST, QGEN, KWK, SOL, SALM, SLXP, SCLN, SNI, SWSI, THQI, TSN, PANL, VSAT, WAVX, XOMA
Economic Data: None.
TUESDAY, Aug. 10
Extended-Hours Earnings: AONE, AMRN, ATAI, CHINA, COIN, CREE, DPTR, ESEA, FOSL, IT, GILT, HOGS, JASO, JAZZ, LDK, LTRE, LUNA, LIME, MRGE, MYGN, RMKR, RCNI, SLRY, SBLK, STKL, SYMM, SPWRA, SYX, SMG, TIER, TSEM, TWTC, YTEC.
Economic Data: 8:30 a.m. Productivity; 10 a.m. Wholesale Inventories; 2:15 p.m. FOMC Rate Decision.
WEDNESDAY, Aug. 11
Extended-Hours Earnings: AAP, ADLS, AMCN, ARCL, ASUR, CECE, GRRF, CSCO, CSC, HILL, EDMC, EDGR, EJ, XJT, GIVN, GLOW, IDSY, ING, JCDA, M, MFB, RTLX, SCIL, SOMX, TK, URS, WEBM, XRM.
Economic Data: 8:30 a.m. Trade Balance; 10:30 a.m. Crude Inventories; 2 p.m. Treasury Budget.
THURSDAY, Aug. 12
Extended-Hours Earnings: AEZS, ABTL, ADSK, BYI, BLTI, EPAY, EAT, BSQR, COSI, DV, RDEN, FTK, GIL, MAIL, INTX, KSS, JWN, CHUX, PRGO, PUK, RRGB, RGLD, SLE, SHOR, SORL, EL, THI, WEN, RNIN.
Economic Data: 8:30 a.m. Initial Claims; Import/Export Prices.
FRIDAY, Aug. 13
Extended Hours Earnings: AMOT, JCP, PBR.
Economic Data: 8:30 a.m. CPI; Retail Sales; 9:55 a.m. Michigan Sentiment; 10 a.m. Business Inventories.